22 October 2015

Back in physical community

Yesterday was my first day back in Capricorn after the violent protests that made us pause for a week. As I entered the community, I was greeted by a police road-block. They were stopping everyone entering the community, especially taxis, and checking registrations just to be sure all drivers were legal and operating in the new agreement post-protest. I almost cried as I saw how the police were supporting and protecting us. They were out in full-force! 

I drove down the street just a bit further and stopped at a family’s house that I wanted to check on. The mom opened the door and hugged me like we hadn’t seen each other in years. We stood in front of her gate, briefly caught up on the week’s events, and encouraged each other with a reminder of deep relationship we’d built. 

Then, I drove into the school parking and was welcomed by the grounds-keeper and smiling children. We were all so thrilled to be back together. There was such an air of unity and appreciation.

At 12noon that first day back, a local colleague and I went to a meeting led by a few Capricorn leaders. The agenda of the meeting, unknown, but we all gathered because we got a text message invite and we desired to really listen to those who wanted to support change. Over 50 community leaders showed up to hear what the people had to say. The meeting began with the South African national anthem, which is a huge symbol of unity as its lyrics are sung in 5 of the 11 national languages in South Africa. This was a sign of togetherness and inclusion.
Lyric source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_anthem_of_South_Africa




Then, 2 huge things happened. Firstly, the taxi association (which started this whole drama in the streets) apologized to the community for how the events took place. All of the key players of the Taxi Association were present (one sitting right next to me), and they actually wanted to be part of the community change! Secondly, the meeting was called to propose a Vrygrond Forum be put into place. This would essentially be representatives from all sectors of the community (non-profits, sports programs, churches, transportation, etc). And this would be the place where complaints could be raised and issues dealt with civilly. Hallelujah. Capricorn is making progress and it’s coming straight from the natives! Essentially, we’re on the right track and the meeting was progress for us all! I’ll keep you posted on the initiative as I have information!

Community Meeting at an NGO building (Sozo Foundation)


This week has been one to remember. I’m thankful to personally be in a place where my everyday makes me depend on the Lord. I’m thankful to see that God truly made me and equipped me for my task and continues to put me deeper and deeper into the community so that I can be a light for Him. 

This place is crazy, but it’s teaching me a lot about how little I knew about the world when I was in my Christian bubble. 


Capricorn is changing and I see God paving the way for revival right here!

No comments:

Melanie's website.

www.melaniedill.com